I am very proud of my heritage. This post is a personal confession of a Bengali girl (that’s me) who is not from West Bengal. It shouldn’t and will not relate to every other person.
Being a Bengali is a proud thing. Every person is proud of their roots and their culture. When it comes to a Bengali, we are a little overly proud of it.
I am also a Mumbaikar, and that makes me proud of my city.
I am a 100% Bengali in blood, but I do not consider myself as a 100% Bengali in person.
Here’s the confession of a Bengali girl from Mumbai:
- I cannot speak fluent Bengali. I can kick your butt in English, but when it comes to Bengali, I may just take the safe path by speaking the basics.
- I am not from West Bengal and have been there only twice. Every time someone reads my full name, they ask me which part of West Bengal am I from. I am not from West Bengal, I belong to Mumbai.
- I support Mumbai Indians over Kolkata Knight Riders. I also support Kolkata Knight Riders if it is against any other team apart from Mumbai, because there is or was Shah Rukh Khan’s association with KKR.
- I love Sourav Ganguly aka Dada. I am not a Sachin Tendulkar fan.
- I love watching the intellectual and difficult to understand Bengali movies as they ring in the creative side of my brain.
- I always took pride in History subject in school when there were names like Rabindranath Tagore, Subhash Chandra Bose and Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay in the text book.
- I do have a little bit of ‘Communist’ thing in me. I really can’t help it, but it just happens, sometimes.
- I love a nicely prepared fish curry and heap full of rice.
- I cannot read or write Bengali and I am completely off from the Bengali Traditions that are not shown in the Bollywood movies. I do go to Google or my Best Friend if I need to know something really traditional about the Bongs.
- I have been to Kolkata recently and I wasn’t much of the Bong that belonged there. I was home sick pretty soon and couldn’t wait to come back to Mumbai.
- I am a total Durga Pujo freak. I need my leaves planned around Pujo and I indulge into some crazy shopping during the pujo. I love the Mumbai Durga Pujo than the Kolkata Pujo.
These are some of my confessions being a Bong in Mumbai City. I am a proud Bong from the city of dreams – Mumbai!
Keep Reading! Keep Blogging! Love Thyself!